This page was going to describe all the work I have done on the boat since I began her reconstruction. But the more I wrote the more I realized I could spend most of the time I need to build this site just listing all the tiny items I and others helped repair, install, rebuild and overhaul. Therefore, this list covers major items and things that came to mind which were entertaining or pertinent. I believe, for every item on this list, there are fifty more that are not mentioned. The list presently sits around 50, so that means 2500 items were repaired on the boat. That sounds about right for the last 2 years of my life spent working and sailing her.

1. 25 percent of the hull was rebuilt, including;
a. Welding the steel framework
b. Cementing
c. Painting ten coats of Epoxy
2. 40 percent of the deck, excluding the cabin, was rebuilt, involving;
a. Rebuilding parts of the teak framework
b. Laying down two 10 cm layers of marine grade plywood
c. Covering this with 6 layers of fiberglass
d. Finally painting 4 coats of Epoxy
3. Most internal plumbing was replaced
4. The Bloody toilet was taken apart and finally replaced all together (Tony had the distinct pleasure of installing the new one)
5. All through-hull fittings were replaced
6. The bottom of the keel, below the rudder was rebuilt
7. The scuppers were painstakingly rebuilt with epoxy glue
8. All ceiling insulation was replaced
9. A war was waged against 10 colonies of “squatting” ants
10. Most electrical wiring was replaced and accounted for
11. All light fixtures were repaired, later they were all replaced with higher wattage mac-truck fixtures
12. Batteries were replaced, over and over and over again
13. The engine was brought back to life
14. The switchboard was rewired and improved with a lot of guidance and work from my cousin Jeff (still looks like shit though)
15. The inside of the boat was painted white
16. Beautiful blue/purple curtains were installed by Taffy
17. The foot and hand pumps were rebuilt and or replaced. (Tony skillfully brought the kitchen sink pump back from the beyond)
18. Bathroom cabinet flooring was replaced
19. Two large dorads were put into the deck with high-powered fans in the interior boxes
20. The spreaders were through-bolted on the mast (some expert high-wire work by the captain and an excellent support team)
21. The gearbox was taken apart and parts repaired over and over and over again.
22. The gear cable was shortened and then replaced buy another that is too long with a shifting distance that is too short. (aarg!)
23. The sails were patched and cleaned by Taffy and excellent “telltales” were sewn on
24. Two anchors and 32 feet of chain were chrome-plated, and then reinstalled
25. Sail-bags were designed and installed
26. The bow lights have been replaced and repaired about 15 times
27. The standing rigging was adjusted and new plates were made and installed
28. A new VHF antenna was installed on the top of the mast (more excellent trapeze work by the captain)
29. A new VHF radio was installed and only tested upon my arrival in Singapore
30. A large baseplate was built for the new boomvang that was installed
31. The central front window was taken out and a new removable window was put in
32. The water pump on the engine was taken off and repaired countless times until finally a high-powered external marine pump was mounted next to the flywheel
33. The base for the temp unit was re-welded on the manifold
34. A head-gasket job was done by the captain, alone
35. The transmission was taken apart and laid out multiple times and two major gaskets were replaced
36. A major segment of the exhaust piping was replaced
37. The electronic bilge pump was cleaned and rewired several times
38. An electronic gas leak detector was installed in the build and then destroyed and then a new one was installed and so far has not yet be soaked with water
39. A new cruising standard compass was installed on the bulkhead
40. A new depth gauge was installed just above the compass
41. The flooring was quick-fixed by carpenter John before our gulf crossing
42. The dingy was repaired many times
43. The oars were lost and then replaced and then made to float and then bent and then unbent and then lost again and then new ones were purchased (Tony was the lucky one responsible for “oar repair”)
44. The alternator was rebuilt and then replaced and then a special BKK unit was purchased which is a minivan grade generator. It has an internal regulator
45. The external regulator was replaced about 25 times until the quality alternator was finally purchased
46. The starter was rebuilt to run on the opposite direction. It was then cleaned and repaired 3 or 4 times over the duration of our travels
47. The fuel injector heads were removed and replaced and a special brass ring was found after days of searching the city of SuratThani
48. The for-stay was shortened and reinstalled
49. The spring in the transmission regulating the control lever resistance was replaced reducing the destruction of the gear cable and gear box
50. Two critical governor springs were replaced
51. New automotive air filters were installed on the engine

I have heard it said, in the world of pleasure craft, that for every hour spent cruising, there are nine hours spent at the dock doing repairs. So, a 9 to 1 ratio.
In my own case, I spent 8 months repairing her in Pra Padang, 2 more months repairing and outfitting her in Bang Pakong, and probably another 2 months put together repairing her on the road. That is a total of 12 months, or a year. We then had the opportunity to cruise for a period of 8 months over the year 2003. Take off the 2 months repair time and that puts us at 6 months. 6 months of pleasure derived from 12 months of work, or a 2 to 1 ratio. It appears that Captain Andy is doing much better than usual in this department. Which is quite impressive considering how old the Wind Spirit is.